This course aims to give knowledge and understanding of basic soil mechanics. This course includes several topics e.g., physical and mechanical properties of soils, weight volume relationship, soil classification, flow through soils, effective stresses, geostatic stress and stresses due to applied loads, soil compaction, 1-D (one-dimensional) consolidation, and introduction to shear strength. The term "soil" can have different meanings, depending upon the field in which it is considered. To a geologist, it is the material in the relative thin zone of the Earth's surface within which roots occur, and which are formed as the products of past surface processes. The rest of the crust is grouped under the term "rock". To a pedologist, it is the substance existing on the surface, which supports plant life.
Soil Mechanics is a discipline of Civil Engineering involving the study of soil, its behaviour, and its application as an engineering material.
Soil Mechanics is the application of laws of mechanics and hydraulics to engineering problems dealing with sediments and other unconsolidated accumulations of solid particles, which are produced by the mechanical and chemical disintegration of rocks, regardless of whether or not they contain an admixture of organic constituents.
Soil consists of a multiphase aggregation of solid particles, water, and air. This fundamental composition gives rise to unique engineering properties, and the description of its mechanical behavior requires some of the most classic principles of engineering mechanics. Engineers are concerned with soil's mechanical properties: permeability, stiffness, and strength. These depend primarily on the nature of the soil grains, the current stress, the water content, and unit weight.
Benefits of Course:
This subject of material is useful for
- MAHARASHTRA PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION EXAM
This subject is important in all above the exams mention
The weightage of this subject as per all engineering exams is as follows
- MPSC: 18 MARKS
- GATE: 15 MARKS
It will vary between 10 - 15 marks
To an engineer, it is a material that can be:
- Built on: foundations of buildings, bridges
- Built-in: basements, culverts, tunnels
- Built with: embankments, roads, and dams supported: by retaining walls
Jobs & Career Opportunities:
Some of the career options for which students could plan for opting as a career. They are soil pedologists, soil conservation technicians, scientific laboratory technicians, professors, hydrologists, geologists, Environmental scientists, and ecologists.
The demand for soil scientists has been growing in multiple areas. Here are some employment opportunities for the students who are looking for a career in the field of soil in India- Mining Industry, Fertilizer Industry, Environmental Consultancies/Organizations, Construction Industry, Agriculture firms, Research establishments, Commercial and industries enterprises, Higher education institutes.
Other Important Information About This Online Course:
- Maximum Duration to complete the Course: 45 DAYS
- Course Fees: Rs. 4,500/- (Several Payment Options Available: Credit & Debit Cards, Cheque, Demand Draft, Cash, Wire Transfer – NEFT, PAYTM)
- Online Evaluation Method: Based on “Multiple Choice Question (MCQs)” and an “Assignment Submission” of 500 words.
- The score of the online examination will be taken as the final result and Grade will be assigned as per the following scheme: Grade A – 80-100, Grade B – 65-79, Grade C – 50-64, Reattempt – Below 50
- Next Batch: Each IALM course starts immediately after payment. Students can register online for the course at any time. Upon payment of fees and registration, the present Course will start immediately.